Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sports Screenplay

At age 51 I earned a graduate degree in screenwriting from UCLA. Since then I've had half a dozen scripts optioned. One--SUMMER OF THE FLYING SAUCER--was shot in the fall of 2006. Another--THE ESP AFFAIR is in preproduction at Point Reyes Pictures. (Yeah, there's nepotism involved; I co-own the company. Still, it's a good script and worth investing in--if you happen to be a friend or family member of the producers.)

Now I'm writing a love story about an amateur athlete. A few scenes involve spectators at games. When working on these scenes, I imagine myself in the crowd, watching the action.

I therefore ask myself: Am I violating the terms of this kick-my-sports-addiction journey by creating the very sort of happening that I am trying to avoid in my life? Or do I get a dispensation because art isn't the same thing as reality?

No comments: