Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Letter to the S.F. Chronicle

When I woke up this morning, I decided that I must be more proactive about the media. So I wrote the following letter to the editorial board of the San Francisco Chronicle, requesting their help in my struggle to stay sports free. I'll post their response as soon as I get it.

* * *

Dear Chronicle,

After a lifetime of compulsive sports watching, on April 8 I decided to end my addiction. This means not watching games live or on TV, not listening to broadcasts, and not reading about my favorite teams.

The journey of my recovery is documented at http://kickingmysportsaddiction.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, you at our beloved Chronicle don't make it easy. Last week you printed a story about Don Nelson on page 1--above the fold! Today, you feature a basketball story in the flag.

Now, when I fetch the paper, I have to avert my eyes.

I have a simple request: Could you please refrain from including sports information in section 1? Otherwise, I'll be forced to ask my wife to pre-read the paper for me and, if necessary, clip out offending stories about the Warriors, Bonds, and other enticing topics that could drag me off the wagon.

Thanks.

Murray Suid
Point Reyes Station, California

No comments: