Sunday, April 22, 2007

Embedded Sports

My wife and I recently watched NOTES ON A SCANDAL. This highly rated movie contains a brief scene of high school kids playing soccer. The scene probably was included so that a male student could remove his shirt and show his handsome chest to the older female protagonist--a teacher who eventually has an affair with him.

The shots distracted me because suddenly--if just for a few seconds--I found myself watching a sporting event. It was different, of course, from watching a pro game. The outcome didn't matter and it was just make-believe. And yet, the action drew me in. I was--momentarily--a spectator.

Does this mean I need to stop watching movies if I am to avoid watching sports? I don't think so, but I imagine that if I watched a movie devoted to sports--say, Rocky--I would get a "hit" perhaps as strong as attending an actual sporting event.

No comments: