Friday, April 27, 2007

Identifying Addiction

When I was an active sports addict, I'd find myself anticipating the next "big" game.

For example, during the NFL season--especially decades ago--on Monday I was sated. I'd read the sporting news--especially if my team won--but I didn't hunger for it.

On Tuesday, I'd be OK. But by Wednesday, I'd be thinking about the weekend's game, and getting through Thursday, Friday, and Saturday could be downright painful. Thanksgiving was good because the NFL presented an unusual Thursday game that brought relief, even if my team weren't involved.

Eventually, we got Monday Night Football, and then--near the end of the season--Saturday games. The pain decreased while the dose frequency increased and the addiction deepened.

I wasn't aware of this phenomenon at the time. But I was aware enough never to complain to my wife that I was having withdrawal symptoms.

No comments: