Monday, April 9, 2007

Day 2: No sports

Driving to work, I almost hit the button for my favorite Sportstalk radio show, "Rhome Is Burning." But I caught myself and instead listened to a recorded book, a biography of Jane Austin.

After dinner, I tuned in a newstalk radio program. The host Gene Burns was badmouthing the British sailors who acted unheroically--as Gene viewed it--in turning their boat over to the Iranians. Gene said that the sailors should have given up their lives to save the boat, and he referenced several heroes such as John McCain and Audie Murphy. I emailed Gene to say that England wasn't at war with Iran, hence the sailor should be judged differently. Gene read my email on the air. But he wasn't persuaded.

Later, I realized that I tend to use newstalk as a surrogate for sports, and maybe I'll need to give it up along with traditional spectator sports. But I suppose a difference is that the newstalk format allows authentic involvement. After all, we are a government of the people, and one of the things the people should do is debate issues that affect the country. Very different from a fan debating whether or not a certain pitcher should be dropped from the starting rotation. Managers don't care at all about the fans' opinions.

No comments: