Saturday, June 2, 2007

Learning Something New Everyday

I've been promoting my book--WORDS OF A FEATHER--by guest blogging.

Recently, I posted a piece at BrainDump (http://sidebernie.livejournal.com/), which is devoted to the idea that a person should learn something new everyday. I realized that many days go by and I can't say I've learned anything new.

I'm persuaded that watching sports--while relaxing and entertaining--absolutely interferes with learning. I'm not against relaxation and fun. But on balance, I believe that my life will be richer--and more worth living--if I use my time for learning.

Today, for example, I learned that the "to" in "tofu" means "beans" and that the "fu" means "fermented." Is that as good as watching a big league infield turn a double play? Certainly in the moment, there is something thrilling about watching professional athletes perform. But in the long, I'd rather--to echo Thoreau--know beans.

No comments: